In this post, I share benefits of Blue Pea Flowers and how to make your own Blue Pea flower drink.
About Blue Pea Flower:
Blue Pea Flower, also commonly known at Butterfly Pea flower or Bunga Telang (in Malaysian or Indonesian) is the flower petals of the Clitoria Ternatea plant. It is a climbing plant that grows readily in South East Asia.
Benefits of Drinking Blue Pea Flower Drink/Tea:
1. The drink/tea is well-known for its anti-ageing benefits, due to its high antioxidant content. This makes the skin look younger and healthier from within.
2. Blue Pea drink/tea is said to be great for the skin, due to its claimed anti-glycation effects, which fight skin ageing. The flavonoids present in blue drink/tea may also stimulate collagen production.
3. Stress-relieving properties of Blue Pea drink/tea are also helpful in overall maintenance of skin and beauty.
4. The flavonoids present in Blue pea drink/tea may also stimulate collagen production, helping develop and maintain skin elasticity.
5. Blue pea flower is excellent for the hair too, as it contains anthocyanin – a compound known to increase blood circulation in the head and therefore maintain a healthy scalp. It also helps in strengthening the hair follicles from within.
Benefits of Blue Pea Drink/Tea on our Body System
In studies to date, Butterfly/Blue Pea has shown to act on several key systems of the body (if drink daily):
The Nervous System – Butterfly/Blue Pea has a calming effect on the brain.
The Digestive System – Butterfly/Blue Pea is an antiemetic (anti-nausea), antidypsetic (anti-indigestion), mild-laxative and cholagogue (stimulates flow of bile from liver)
The Circulatory System – Butterfly?Blue Pea is a haemostatic (helps stop bleeding) and a blood purifier
The Respiratory System – Butterfly Pea acts as an expectorant and has shown to reduce the irritation of respiratory organs, useful in treating colds, coughs and even asthma.
The Urinary System – Butterfly Pea is a diuretic, helping promote normal urination and can be used for dysuria (difficulty urinating)
The Reproductive System: Butterfly Pea is reported to be spermatogenic, aiding in normal sperm production
The Integumentary System – Pre-maturing ageing is often a problem of the skin. Flavonoids present in Butterfly Pea have been found to boost collagen production, increasing the skin elasticity.
Making Blue Pea Flower Drink
The simplest and easiest method using Blue Pea Flowers to make a healthy drink: I use just 3 flowers to steep in 200 ml Hot water OR 4 flowers to steep in 250 ml hot water. Remember to remove the green parts of the flower before using it. ( It will give the tea/drink a bitter taste). The tea/drink will be ready in 10 mins time.
One of the characteristics of Blue Pea flower tea/drink is that it will change color when the pH balance changes. A deep blue tea will turn purple with the addition of lemon juice or Vinegar. Mixing with fuchsia roselle hibiscus leaves, the tea will turn a bright red color.
Making my Magic Colour Drink. First photo shows Blue Pea Flowers added with warm water. The colour turns to beautiful BLUE. By adding Ringo-Su (Apple Vinegar) which I bought from my Aomori trip in Japan, the water immediately turned to beautiful PURPLE.
Another magical drink I made by adding Lemon Juice to the Blue Pea drink to turn it into a nice shade of Purple.
Do explore this Blog@CatherinaHosoi.com for more ideas and interesting recipes.
Please subscribe to my BLOG@catherinahosoi.com and get inspired to follow my Healthy Lifestyle and read all the Eat Happy Live Healthy 健康愉食(EHLH) recipes that I created.
To follow CATherina Hosoi’s activities in Singapore and overseas, including recipes which she created, please like her Facebook page: www.facebook.com/CATherinaHosoiFanPage
Interested to know more about CATherina Hosoi’s resort activities in Bali? Visit : www.ubudgreen.com